On the daily basis we’re bombarded with skincare products to purchase to reduce pores, have a healthy glow, eliminate acne, etc. But some of these products have quite a hefty price tag, and they operate on the same principle many technology companies do, which is to keep you buying more of the same as you get addicted to seeing the results.
However, and this is a BIG one – we have to eliminate or fix the root cause of whatever it is we’re trying so much to cover with makeup or get rid of with skincare. By understanding the underlying cause we’re far more likely to see good results in the long run and save a lot of money!
Now, I’m not saying that people with hereditary or permanent acne scarring can do these same things and magically cure it, because that’s not the case. But understanding how these other contributors might make it worse could really help.
I was inspired to write about this after watching Whitney’s video below, and she brought up some great points:
- Less is more! Cleansing, a special occasional treatment, and a moisturizer – are all we need. Sometimes overloading our skin with layers of products that we hope are right for our skin, can actually clog pores and cause faster aging;
- Stay out of the sun! Sun causes the aging process to happen a lot faster and sometimes the results are really painful almost immediately after long exposure. This is why SPF in our skincare and makeup products is so important. If looking tan is important to you then consider alternatives that aren’t as harmful as the Sun and tanning salons (there is a muriad of tanning lotions that aren’t going to damage your skin);
- Smoking and alcohol not only kill us on the inside, but are also some of the worst things we can do for our outside appearance and therefore – skin;
- Reduce your stress levels as much as possible – it triggers a hormonal response in the body that is pretty much poison! Make sure your surroundings and your mental health are in good condition. Don’t try to overload yourself with work just to focus on something besides your problems – actually take steps to fix them!;
- Healthy eating doesn’t have to be a burden! The sooner we develop healthy eating habits the better off we’ll be – no skincare or makeup product can cover the consequences of bad eating, but a balanced diet without much sugar and processed foods will. Eat a lot of greens and drink a lot of water;
- Get enough exercise, in any way possible. Whether it’s getting fresh air and going on daily walks, or working out regularly – getting our blood moving, increasing cell renewal, boosting collagen levels, and feeling better about ourselves overall, will consequentially help our skin look younger for longer.
We can keep buying all the glowy skin products, false eyelashes, hair extensions, and everything else, but instead, we should cultivate healthy habits to eliminate the need to!