I find there’s a lot of confusion surrounding the general skincare step of exfoliation. There are two types: chemical and physical.
– Removes dead skin cells by dissolving dirt and oil in the pores, and breaking up the glue that holds dead skin cells to healthy skin cells;
– Not harsh, can be used by all skin types;
– AHAs, BHAs – choose the one for you depending on your skin type:
Difference Between Chemical Exfoliants AHAs and BHAs
– AHAs – Alpha Hydroxy Acids (lactic acid, glycolic acid), water-soluble, suitable for dry and dehydrated skin with advanced signs of aging;
– BHAs – Beta Hydroxy Acids (salicylic acid), oil-soluble, suitable for oily, combination, acne-prone, and sun-damaged skin.
– Removes dead skin cells from the skin surface using grainy scrubs;
– May feel harsh on active acne and sensitive skin;
– For example: walnut shell powder, coffee grounds, sugar, etc.
Do you have favourite exfoliants? Let me know in the comments below!