Hardpan is when a powder product has a dirty or wet film on top of it, which makes it almost impossible to pick up any powder with a brush.
Why does it happen?
– If a product is nearing or is over the expiration date, oxygenation can occur, which is when the oxygen particles react with product particles to create this thin film; or
– Oils from fingers or brushes transfer onto the product and accumulate over time.
How can we prevent it?
– Wash your brushes and tools regularly;
– Wash your hands before every makeup application to remove excess oils.
How can we fix it?
1. Take a piece of regular tape and press it gently over the hardened section of the powder;
2. Lift the tape up to reveal the fresh powder underneath;
3. Repeat until the impacted layer has been removed.
OR scrape the affected layer with a tool to reveal the fresh powder underneath.
Have your products ever hit hardpan? Do you fix them or throw them away? Let me know in the comments below!